Thursday, March 25, 2010

In My Mailbox (5)

In My Mailbox
Week Five



I'm doing this a few days early, again, because I picked up some weekend shifts at work and I'm not entirely sure how much I'll be around this weekend. I wasn't actually planning on picking up any books this week because working this much overtime has seriously impacted my reading time so I'm way behind on my 'to-read' pile.

However, two of my holds from the library finally became available and I couldn't stop myself from picking them.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains."

So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton - and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers - and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.


First thoughts: I'm only about thirty pages into this but I'm really enjoying it so far. Pride and Prejudice has always had a special place in my heart so I'm loving this "version" of it. I've read the original so it's also interesting to see how he worked in the zombie elements.


Hex Hall
Rachel Hawkins

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father - an elusive European warlock - only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of the her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all; an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


First thoughts: sdfkjaskldf <- For real, I did a happy dance when I got the notice this book had arrived. I was expecting it to take a lot longer to get to my local library than it did. It's pretty much taking everything in me to finish the two books I already started (or at least one) before I start on it...and knowing me, I'll probably cave by tomorrow night.


This Weeks Reviews
(click book cover for review)



Apparently last weeks theme was covers with legs.

I also posted the super-short teaser from ABC Family for Pretty Little Liars, cause y'all know how much I adore that series. You want watch it here.


In My Mailbox is an awesome weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren so check it out.

7 comments:

Christina / Book Addict said...

Ohh! I loved Hex Hall and I haven't read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies yet. I'll keep my eye out for your review! Enjoy your books!

April said...

Awesome looking and sounding books!!! Enjoy them and have a great wkend!

Manda said...

Nice choices! I own Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Hex Hall is on it's way to me now. Here's mine

sarah darlington said...

Great books this week. I really want Hex Hall. It sounds so fun.

Alexia561 said...

Great books! I wasn't going to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies as I loved the original so much, but really liked Seth's book about Abraham Lincoln so will probably pick this up now. And I've heard nothing but good things about Hex hall, so may get that as well.

Enjoy!

Tabitha said...

I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies not long ago, and really enjoyed it. I didn't love the idea enough to read the other books of the same idea (Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, etc), but it was still fun.

p.s. I *love* the picture of your mailbox. :)

ck.twilighter (Chasity) said...

Wow... great books last week!!=)!