Saturday, March 6, 2010

In My Mailbox (2)

My library doesn't have the most stellar collection of YA fiction so this week I made a trip a few towns over to a better stocked library. Here's what I got:

Dead is the New Black
Marlene Perez

Welcome to Nightshade, California; a small town full of secrets. It's home to the pyschic Giordano sisters, who have a way of getting mixed up in mysteries. During their investigations, they run across everything from pom-pom-shaking vampires to shape-shifting boyfriends to a clue-spewing jukebox. With their psychic powers and some sisterly support, they can crack any case.

Teenage girls are being mysteriously attacked all over town, including at Nightshade High School, where Daisy Giordano is a junior. When Daisy discovers that a vampire may be the culprit, she can't help but suspect head cheerleader Samantha Devereaux, who returned from summer break with a new look; Samantha appears a little . . . well, dead, and all the most popular kids at school are copying her style.

Is looking dead just another fashion trend for Samantha, or is there something more sinister going on? To find out, Daisy joins the cheerleading squad.

Dirty Laundry
Daniel Ehrenhaft

The School: The Winchester School of the Arts, nick-named "The Laundromat" because it's where better schools send their "dirty laundry." Get kicked out of Exeter, Hotch-kiss, or Choate? End up at Winchester.

The Girl: Carli, a gorgeous pigtailed Hollywood actress going undercover at Winchester to research her role.

The Boy: Fun (short for Fellini Udall Newport), an embittered senior and graffiti artist who was almost expelled - until his dad (and a lot of money) convinced the headmaster to let him work off his crime as Carli's assistant.

The Problem: Beautiful, talented senior Darcy Novak, one of the least screwed-up people at Winchester, has disappeared.

As Carli and Fun discover each other's hidden talents, there's a villain setting them up. Can they save Darcy - and themselves - or will they wash out?

You are So Undead to Me
Stacey Jay

Megan Berry is a Zombie Settler by birth, which mean she's part-time shrink to a whole bunch of semi-dead people with killer issues. All Megan wants is to go to homecoming, but when you're trailed by a bunch of slobbering corpses whenever you leave the house, it's kinda hard to score a date. Let's just say Megan's love life could use some major resuscitation.

Megan's convinced her life can't get any worse - until someone in school starts using blck magic to turn average, angsty Undead into scary, hardcore flesh-eating Zombies. Now it's up to Megan to stop the Zombie apocalypse. Her life - and more importantly, the homecoming dance - depends on it.

The Dark Divine
Bree Despain

A Prodigal Son.

A Dangerous Love.

A Deadly Secret.

Grace Divine - daughter of the local pastor - always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kallbi disappeared and her brother Jude came home covered in his own blood.

Now that Daniel's returned, Grace must choose between her growing attraction to him and her loyalty to her brother.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, she learns the truth about that mysterious night and how to save the ones she loves, but it might cost her the one thing she cherishes the most: her soul.


Flawless
(A Pretty Little Liars Novel)

Sara Shepard

Spencer stole her sister's boyfriend. Aria is brokenhearted over her English teacher. Emily likes her new friend Maya . . . as much more than a friend. Hanna's obsession with looking flawless is making her sick. And their most horrible secret yet is so scandalous that the truth would ruin them forever.

And why shouldn't I tell? They deserve to lose it all. With every crumpled note, wicked IM, and vindictive text message I send, I'll be taking these pretty little liars down. Trust me, I've got enough dirt to bury them alive.

Read my review for Flawless here.


Perfect
(A Pretty Little Liars Novel)
Sara Shepard

In a town where gossip thrives like the ivy that clings to its mansions, where mysteries lie behind manicured hedges and skeletons hide in every walk-in closet, four perfect-looking girls aren't nearly as perfect as they seem.

Three years ago, Spencer, Aria, Emily, Hanna, and their best friend Alison were the girls at Rosewood Day School. They clicked through the halls in their Miu Miu flats, tanned in their matching Pucci bikinis, and laughed behind their freshly manicured fingernails. They were the girls everyone loved but secretly hated—especially Alison.

So when Alison mysteriously vanished one night, Spencer, Aria, Emily, and Hanna's grief was tinged with . . . relief. And when Alison's body was later discovered in her own backyard, the girls were forced to unearth some ugly memories of their old friend, too. Could there be more to Alison's death than anyone realizes?

Now someone named A, someone who seems to know everything, is pointing the finger at one of them for Ali's murder. As their secrets get darker and their scandals turn deadly, A is poised to ruin their perfect little lives forever.


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by A Siren Song.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dirty Laundry sounds intriguing. Happy reading!

Sara said...

You got great books this week! I'm absolutely love love The Pretty Little Liars series! Happy reading :)

Chrissie said...

I really want to read The Dark Devine! Happy reading :)

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Dirty Laundry sounds good! I also have The Dark Divine, but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. Enjoy :)

Tabitha said...

I enjoyed The Dark Divine. And I have been wanting to read You Are So Undead to me for quite some time. I need to go pick up a copy!

Christina / Book Addict said...

I've been meaning to read The Dark Divine for so long! I also want to read You Are So Undead to me. I'll keep me eye out for your reviews. Enjoy your books!

PolishOutlander said...

I loved You Are So Undead to Me. It was better than i expected and such a fun read. Happy reading!

YA Book Queen said...

Awesome books! I love the PLL series, it's so fun to read. :)

Hope you enjoy each of your books! :D

Sarah said...

Great selection! I can't wait to read Dark Divine & the Undead series looks like so much fun :o) Have a great week

Jenny N. said...

Great books, Dirty Laundry sounds good and I like the premise. Happy Reading!

Miss Remmers said...

I'm so jealous of what you found in your mailbox! I can't wait to read your reviews!

Kelly Peres said...

Wow awesome IMM!! I adored dead is the new black!!! you better get the other 2 fast because once I finished it i was on a hunt to find them!! I also adore the covers in the series I think the one after dead is so last year only comes out next year!! I need to look into it!! I'll be back to see what you think on dark divine and You are so Undead to me!! those 2 books look good!!

Awesome!!
P.S. Thanks for the award :)

Kelly!

Stephanie said...

These look like fun reads. Enjoy!

Corrine said...

Lots of good books this week! I've got The Dark Divine on my tbr list as well. Happy Reading! :)

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Dirty Laundry looks really interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Christina T said...

Great books! Dead is the New Black sounds fantastic and I've got The Dark Divine on my TBR list. Have fun reading!

Little Miss Becky :) said...

Great stuff! Dark Divine was so good..hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Lori said...

Very nice selection. Here's Mine.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Oooo I like the Dead is the new Black cover!