Friday, March 12, 2010

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox
Week Three


What I Got:

I still have two library books left over from my trip last week to the library so I didn't make a trip there this week. However, I finally caved and picked up three books at the store this week that I've had my eye. I was doing so good to. Oh well, sometimes you just can't fight it.


The Forrest of Hands and Teeth
Carrie Ryan

In Mary's world, there are simple truths.

The sisterhood always knows best.

The Guardians will protect and serve.

The Unconsecrated will never relent.

And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village. The fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

But slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power. And, when the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness.

Now she must choose between her village and her future, between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death?

First Thoughts:
I'd heard really good things about it. Plus, you know, zombies.

Perfect Chemistry
Simone Elkeles

At Fairfield High School, on the outskirts of Chicago, everyone knows that south siders and north siders aren't exactly compatible elements. So when head cheerleader Brittany Ellis and gang member Alex Fuentes are forced to be lab partners in chemistry class, the results are bound to be explosive. But neither teen is prepared for the most surprising chemical reaction of all - love. Can they break through the stereotypes and misconceptions that threaten to keep them apart?


First Thoughts: Basically I picked up this book because I have a thing for star crossed lovers. It's not something I can help, I just do.

And the trailer for this didn't hurt ;)


Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter
Seth Grahame-Smith

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside. She's been stricken with something the old-timers call "Milk Sickness."

"My baby boy..." she whispers before dying.

Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire.

When the truth becomes known to young Lincoln, he writes in his journal, "henceforth my life shall be one of rigorous study and devotion. I shall become a master of mind and body. And this mastery shall have but one purpose..." Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years. That is, until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln, and became the first living person to lay eyes on it in more than 40 years.

Using the journal as his guide and writing in the grand biographical style of Doris Kearns Goodwin and David McCullough, Seth has reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president for the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War and uncovering the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.

First Thoughts:
Seriously, do I even need to justify getting this book? Who wouldn't want this. Plus, it's autographed! I was checking out with Perfect Chemistry and look over to see a small stack of signed copies on sale at my book store. That kind of sealed the deal for me.

Recap of Last Week's Reviews
(Click Book for Review)





I know this is early but I picked up some extra weekend shifts, so I wasn't sure when I'd be home and available to put this up.

17 comments:

Morgan said...

Great Books! I loved Perfect Chemistry and I've been wanting to read The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I hope you enjoy them all!

I found your blog through Blog Hop and am glad to be your 27th follower! I also love the title of your blog.

Eleni said...

Great books, I <3 Perfect Chemistry, hope you enjoy it!

Dazzling Mage said...

I've heard a lot of good things about The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Don't know why I didn't pick it up when I saw it. >_<

Happy reading!

A.J. said...

Ooo I wanna read Perfect Chemistry! :3 I've heard good things about The Forest of Hands and Teeth as well; I might need to check that one out.

tweezle said...

I found your blog via Blog Hop. What a cool blog. I'm now a follower :)

tweezle from Just One More Paragraph

The Book Bug said...

Awesome haul you got there! I do indeed know, zombies.

PS. thanks for linking to me!

Alexia561 said...

I'm another one who found you thru the Blog Hop. Love your blog name!

Have heard nothing but good things about the Forest of Hands and Teeth, but I haven't picked up a copy yet. Am currently reading the Abraham Lincoln book and it's pretty good. Enjoy!

Lisa said...

Hey there just hoppin' on by with Blog Hop! I am now a brand new follower.

I just saw that ABe Lincoln one the other day at the bookstore, looked very interesting. And is that a new cover on Forest of hands and Teeth?

Great blog!

Sadako said...

Looks like a good haul! Esp. Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter!

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Ooh, great books, I hope you enjoy them! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey! You’ve received some awards on my blog (“,).
http://paranormal-obsession.blogspot.com

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I have Forest Of Hands and Teeth as well to read. Enjoy your great books!

Trollololol said...

I just finished reading the Forest Of Hands and Teeth. It's a really good read, but make sure you have a happy book to read once you've finished it, because it's kinda depressing.

I look forward to seeing what you think. :)

sarah darlington said...

Hi there. Forest of Hands and Teeth is one of the those books you'll either love or hate. I wasn't a fan but I hope you enjoy it. And Perfect Chemistry. I just got that and have been dying to read it! I'm not sure about the 3rd. I'm curious for your thoughts.

Pinkcypress said...

Love your blog!

Stephanie said...

Zombies are very cool. :-) Enjoy!!

Jan von Harz said...

Just got both the Carrie Ryan book last week and can't wait to read them. I will have to come back and see how you like The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Have a great week.